Sunday, February 9, 2014

SMART - The Automated Food Concocter! - Zeroth Review Experience

I was browsing some old folders on my home PC, while I stumbled upon the folder where I used to store all information I had gathered for my final year project. I was instantly reminded of the good old college days and this nostalgia struck me. I always wanted to blog about how my final year undergraduate project evolved, and clinging on to that nostalgia, I'm penning down what happened back then!

The idea of making a food making machine was lingering in my mind for quite sometime. At that time, I didn't have the idea nor the resources to realize that dream. During that time, I had attended a workshop that taught how to control motors using sensor inputs. As time passed by, I also got myself acquainted with some microprocessor and microcontroller programming skills. I felt that my undergraduate project was the right place to implement the food making machine.

For the first stage, we had to submit the project title and an abstract before the committee for their approvals. Luckily, my department's HOD, Dr. K.R.Santha, agreed to be my project guide. Thus, we began the "titling process". Thanks to my friend Mr. Lakshmi Narayanan Srivatsan for giving us a catchy keyword for the title. "Concoction" is defined as "The act of creating something (a medicine or drink or soup etc.) by compounding or mixing a variety of components". We thus named our robot "SMART - The Automated Food Concocter!". Here the acronym SMART stands for Simple Meal Automated through Robotic Technology. When I tried explaining the concept of this robot to several of my friends, they couldn't understand the idea. Thus, I made some 3D sketches with Google SketchUp (now its Oracle SketchUp) to explain such abstract ideas.







With all these tools, we were able to better convince the review committee to acknowledge our project and also succeeded in luring our department's HOD as the project guide! The project kick starts now...

2 comments:

  1. Such a creative and informative blog!

    Want to build a successful On Demand Gift Delivery App to make a profitable business? Contact The App Ideas!

    ReplyDelete